I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Saturday, August 19, 2006

I got a brand new pair of roller skates . . .

I don't know how it is possible to have more fun than one can experience while roller skating, as I did last night with all my gals to kick off my birthday festivities with mad style. Although we were clearly and by far the oldest people actually circling the rink, we had more fun than we've had since the early teen years (or whenever it was we last tied on a pair of roller skates).

The only way that it could have potentially been *any* better would be if I could have been the DJ for the blessed event (instead of the Justin Timberlake-Eiffel 65 "Blue"-Ciara mix).

I think we can all agree that these songs are much better roller-skating music:


HEATHER'S ROLLER SKATING MIX EP:

"Brand New Key" - Melanie
(love, love, love this song i
n the summer)

"A Roller Skating Jam Named 'Saturdays'" - De La Soul

"Summer '79" - The Ataris
(a song about the season and year I was born, *and* that mentions roller skating? Come on!)


"Bounce, Rock, Skate, Roll" - Mason Vaughan & Crew

"Roller Rink" - The Waves


If you haven't been skating in years (and if you still remember how), I highly recommend going again. There's still all the same things you remember (the speed skating contests, the girl-taller-than-the-boy handholding, the weird older guy who skate-dances really fast in and out between people and wears hardcore wrist guards and sweatbands), even if you've aged a little bit. The rink remains the same.


15 Comments:

At August 19, 2006 12:31 PM, Blogger Trini said...

Too cute. I got a pair of quads myself for christmas two years ago thinking skating is like riding a bike you never forget. My butt never forgot the cement as well. It's so not like a riding a bike.

Love that picture you girls look adorable.

 
At August 19, 2006 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahah I got that Brand New Key song a long time ago when I was trying to get Janis Joplin songs and this one came out.. of course when I heard it I knew it wasn't her and eventually found out it was Melanie Safka! that song really puts a smile on my face :)

 
At August 19, 2006 5:57 PM, Blogger heather said...

Yes, I love the fact that she sounds like Janis Joplin as well. :)

 
At August 19, 2006 6:21 PM, Blogger Sarah N said...

Happy birthday! Man, I haven't been roller skating in years, me and my sisters used to go when we stayed at Dad's place, we'd get him to drop us off at the roller rink for the afternoon, sadly it's a garage now.

I never actually knew how to rollerskate, my approach was to push myself along with my right foot till I'd get some good speed going, I'd stop by crashing into a wall. :-)

 
At August 19, 2006 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely blog, this. I've been enjoying it for quite some time, appreciating your impeccable taste. And then you go and throw up a De La track. Very well done. Enjoy your birthday!

 
At August 19, 2006 8:20 PM, Blogger mickeyitaliano said...

All Skate...All Skate

Break that chain you kids!!!

Man, everything was so gorgeous then.
"Brand New Key" is such a classsic rollerskating night song. (To the person above: listen to "laydown") I would rather have 2 Joplins than 15 Britney's.

 
At August 19, 2006 9:57 PM, Blogger Idaho Dad said...

We took the kids skating recently (first time for me in 30 years) and, sure enough, there was some old guy there skating rings around everybody. Show off!

My kids liked the limbo contest.

 
At August 19, 2006 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather- I read your blog regularly and comment on occasion. Just wanted to say happy birthday. Oh and I almost exclusively read your blog in Songbird now so I can listen to all the killer tracks you put up while I read.

 
At August 20, 2006 7:42 AM, Blogger mickeyitaliano said...

Heather;
I forgot to add...
There has been this great song on my shuffle...I could not decipher it.
Turns out, it is Smudge; from your Evan Dando, (Largo as well) post.
That song is like freaking beautiful.
Almost better than "Frying Pan"... which behooves the mind how it was not a frigging big hit.
Happy Birthday post or past
Michael

 
At August 20, 2006 9:30 AM, Blogger Are We There Yet? said...

oh oh! rollerskating is good. is that place really called skate city? that is so 80s. heather, hit my site and check out call & response's tune "rollerskate"!! and happy impending birthday... oh, and what about de la soul's "a roller skating jam named 'saturdays'"??

 
At August 20, 2006 10:24 PM, Blogger c said...

OMG - are you finally 21? cute pic. looks like fun ;)

 
At August 21, 2006 3:44 AM, Blogger evan said...

you were born in '79? christ i'm old.

 
At August 21, 2006 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

speaking of roller skating... is anyone else loving that new jessica simpson video? public affair?

hot hot hot. love when she eats that ice cream cone.

well, it's a good poke at the whole roller thing, very amusing. her music on the other hand is paltry in comparison.

joke: whats the hardest thing about roller blading? telling your parents that you're gay.

heard that on wbcn once...

 
At August 21, 2006 3:03 PM, Blogger mimo70 said...

Buon Compliano.

Dom.

 
At August 25, 2006 4:10 PM, Blogger D. said...

They call 'em 'quads' now? I remember when we made skateboards out of some wood and (metal) roller skate wheels! I am NOT old.

Too cute how y'all coordinated the group tube-socked look.

PS I interviewed Melanie once, it was a blast. She is still so cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter